Today’s Friday favorites is brought to you by the second day of spring and the glorious Seattle sunshine (did I just jinx it? Please say no …).
What are your favorite things about spring? I love spring training, the daffodils people hand out around downtown on the first day of spring, blue sky, birds chirping … the list could go on.
But what I love most this year is anticipating the grand opening of the local farmer’s markets. Not only can you get all this for a ridiculously low price …
… you can quickly and easily turn it into something divinely tasty.
The weather forecasters are even saying that this spring and summer will be warmer than average. I hope this means we’ll get a longer and more bountiful window of this glorious goodness!
We all know how much I love my apples – – so I’m looking forward to branching out into other things I enjoy but don’t use that much.
The top five things I’m most excited about:
- Rhubarb will be in full swing next month (glory be!)…
- and local berries are not far behind, beginning to show up in May.
- June will see cherries – I can test out my new cherry pitter!
- and July, I’m happy to say, will feature Walla Walla sweet onions at their peak.
- August is prime for sweet corn (4 for $1 or better!).
I’m already drooling at the thought of grilled hamburgers with corn on the cob. The best things of summer …
What local produce are you most excited about? How do you plan to use it this summer?